Living with sadness is a difficult hurdle to embrace and overcome. If you are feeling sad because of conflict, or past experiences, you are not alone. We all experience deep sadness and fear in our lives. Whether you have lost a loved one or experience a really significant change in your life for the worse, it’s not an emotion to take lightly.
Why Does Sadness Feel So Painful?
It is truly difficult to overcome our emotions and fight to see the possibilities before us.We hope this list of sad quotes will highlight the distinction between your moments of deep pain and opportunities to overcome them and continue embracing the opportunities life has to offer.
If a loved one is feeling sad, share these quotes with them to help and inspire them to find solace and comfort.
Some days are just more difficult than others. Whether you are living with grief or troubling conflict, know that the strength of the emotion you are feeling will diminish with time.
61 Quotes On Sadness And Sorrow
“Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Tears are words that need to be written.”
― Paulo Coelho
“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it–always.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
“Don’t cry over someone who wouldn’t cry over you.”
― Lauren Conrad
“If you desire healing,
let yourself fall ill
let yourself fall ill.”
“Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.”
“I do not believe anyone can be perfectly well, who has a brain and a heart”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.”
― Nicholas Sparks
“The funniest people are the saddest ones”
“Even on my weakest days
I get a little bit stronger”
― Sara Evans
“Melancholy is the happiness of being sad.”
― Victor Hugo
“I love walking in the rain because no one can see me crying”
― Rowan Atkinson
“Do not feel sad for your tears as rocks never regret the waterfalls” ― Munia Khan
Sad Quotes On Life
14. “Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.” ― Percy Bysshe Shelley
15. There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. ― Washington Irving
16. Nothing is more sad than the death of an illusion. ― Arthur Koestler
17. For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, ‘It might have been’. ― John Greenleaf Whittier
18. To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing. ― Dorothy Thompson
19. Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us. ― Steven Tyler
Short Sad Quotes
20. First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great.
― Alyssa Milano
21. Crying is cleansing. There’s a reason for tears, happiness or sadness.
― Dionne Warwick
22. A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ.
― John Steinbeck
23. t doesn’t hurt to feel sad from time to time.
― Willie Nelson
24. Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.
― Leo Buscaglia
25. Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.
26. Depression is the inability to construct a future.
― Rollo May
27. The sad truth is that opportunity doesn’t knock twice.
― Gloria Estefan
Sad Quotes On Life
28. Dying is only one thing to be sad over… Living unhappily is something else.
― Morrie Schwartz
29. I do believe that if you haven’t learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness.
― Nana Mouskouri
30. I really believe that all of us have a lot of darkness in our souls. Anger, rage, fear, sadness. I don’t think that’s only reserved for people who have horrible upbringings. I think it really exists and is part of the human condition. I think in the course of your life you figure out ways to deal with that.
― Kevin Bacon
31. The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.
― Jim Rohn
32. Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.
― Henry David Thoreau
33. Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
― Jean de La Fontaine
34. Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative, you can get beyond your pain or negativity.
― Yoko Ono
35. Affliction comes to us, not to make us sad but sober; not to make us sorry but wise.
― H. G. Wells
Sad Love Quotes
36. Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair.
― William Cowper
37. Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy. ― Anonymous
38. If you have to convince someone you’re right for them, then they aren’t right for you. ― Anonymous
39. Cry as I may, these tears won’t wash away. ― Anonymous
40. Sometimes you have to get knocked down lower than you have ever been to stand up taller than you ever were. ― Anonymous
41. It hurts when your heart is being broken while his heart is being fixed by someone else. ― Anonymous
Sad Reality Quotes
42. Do not make best friends with a melancholy sad soul. They always are heavily loaded, and you must bear half.
― Francois Fenelon
43. Sad will be the day for any man when he becomes contented with the thoughts he is thinking and the deeds he is doing – where there is not forever beating at the doors of his soul some great desire to do something larger; which he knows he was meant and made to do.
― Phillips Brooks
44. In deep sadness there is no place for sentimentality.
― William S. Burroughs
45. You get used to sadness, growing up in the mountains, I guess.
― Loretta Lynn
46. The old know what they want; the young are sad and bewildered.
― Logan Pearsall Smith
Saddest Quotes Ever
47. “Sadness flies away on the wings of time.”– Jean de La Fontaine
48. “Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.”– Percy Bysshe Shelley
49. “Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative you can get beyond your pain or negativity.”– Yoko Ono
50. “There is no point treating a depressed person as though she were just feeling sad, saying, ‘There now, hang on, you’ll get over it.’ Sadness is more or less like a head cold- with patience, it passes. Depression is like cancer.”– Barbara Kingsolver
Sadness Quotes On Crying
51. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” ― Steve Maraboli
52. “Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.”
― C.S. Lewis
53. “When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools.”
― William Shakespeare
54. “You stay safe, You love. You survive. You laugh and cry and struggle and sometimes you fail and sometimes you succeed. You Push.”
― Carrie Ryan
55. “If somebody hurts you, it’s okay to cry a river, just remember to build a bridge and get over it.”
― Taylor Swift
56. “Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.”
― C.S. Lewis
Let Go Of Sadness Quotes
57. “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.”– Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
58. “The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.”– Carl Jung
59. “There is some kind of a sweet innocence in being human- in not having to be just happy or just sad- in the nature of being able to be both broken and whole, at the same time.”– C. Joybell
60. “The largest part of what we call ‘personality’ is determined by how we’ve opted to defend ourselves against anxiety and sadness.”– Alain de Botton
61. “Sometimes we get sad about things and we don’t like to tell other people that we are sad about them. We like to keep it a secret. Or sometimes, we are sad but we really don’t know why we are sad, so we say we aren’t sad but we really are.”– Mark Haddon